St. Boniface was named for the “Apostle of Germany”. It is the oldest Catholic parish in the city of Louisville. Diocesan clergy staffed St. Boniface until 1849 when Bishop Martin John Spalding asked the Franciscan priests of Cincinnati, Ohio to take responsibility for the parish because of the high influx of German Catholic immigrants moving into the surrounding neighborhood and the availability of German-speaking Franciscan priests. After 148 years, in 1998, the Archdiocese of Louisville resumed responsibility for the parish.
LORD, THAT WE MAY SEE:
THE WORLD ACCORDING TO BONIFACE AND BARTIMAEUS